Saturday, June 30, 2012

Thrifting Haul 2

I had a wonderful and exciting adventure today. People were busy so I decided to go thrifting by myself. The plan for today was to explore 3 new thrift stores - all Salvation Armies! I set off from my house confident and headed towards the thrift store in Bridgeview..... and then I promptly went on the wrong Tollway and drove North instead of South. I ended up driving along for a good 10 minutes before getting off at 47th and deciding to change plans and go to the store that I remembering planning as the 3rd stop - the one called "Naple Ave". Unfortunately though, I didn't prepare the addresses beforehand so I accidentally went to the one that was on 47th because it seemed logical at the time (I blame my phone). When I arrived, I found a brown brick building with 1 door and 1 window. Definitely not it. Change of plans. I whipped out my phone once again and decided to visit "Unique Thrift" that was 1-2 blocks away. Bad decision. The surrounding area gradually grew shadier and shadier. I had no idea what I was doing and found myself driving in the center of the road because I didn't realize that it was in fact two lanes. Overall a very stressful experience. I finally arrived at the store and it was.... dirty. So very dirty. Stains on the floor and stains on the clothes. I was too scared to even touch anything. I wandered to the back where the shoes were and looked around. I then gave up and went back to my car. Sitting in my car, I was looking on my phone to search for other nearby thrift stores. I found another one on 63rd but a review warned of it being in a shady area. No thank you. This was already shady enough. I finally found the address for the one on Cicero and set off. Driving towards Cicero was easy enough. Stores stopped looking so run down and scary and I could see a more civilized area. But of course, I would turn a street too early. Instead of turning onto Cicero, I ended up turning into Midway Airport. I took a nice tour of the Arrival and Departure terminals before finally stumbling upon S Cicero. Finally driving down Cicero, I found the thrift store! I was so relieved to find that it was in a normal part of town and I gladly went inside. The store itself was pretty nice! The only downfall was that there were no mirrors... I walked around the store for a good 5 minutes and was about to give up on trying clothes until I finally decided to awkwardly use one of the dresser's mirror. In the end, it was a pretty successful haul. Here's what I walked away with: 1. Izzi Collections 100% Wool Dark Grey Peacoat $5 2. Anne Klein Black Doublebreasted Blazer $3.50 3. Francine Browner Black Vest $1.50 4. Express Long Button-up $1.50 5. The Limited Khaki Dress Skirt $3 6. Dark Blue Blouse $1.50 7. White Blouse $1.50 Overall, I ended up spending exactly $20.88 with tax! I was tired, but there was one last stop on my list. The Bridgeview thrift store. I was exhausted from thrifting for 2-3 hours at the Cicero location so I told myself that I would look at the shoes and leave. I found the place alright - it was a pretty small place. However, the inside was clean and much quieter. There were a lot less people. I found these awesome Nude pumps from Forever 21 but sadly they were a size 8 and too big for my feet :( Mission failed. After that, I finally went home. By the time I got home, I had been gone for more than 4 hours. It was quite an interesting trip... At least next time when I go with Melissa and Selina we will know which shady stores to avoid.

No comments:

Post a Comment